On Friday the 17th of March 2020, the Foreign Minister has confirmed that Indonesia will continue to support the World Health Organisation, especially due to the global fighting against the COVID-19 pandemic.
The foreign minister Retno Marsurdi, has reiterated the position of Indonesia to support the WHO, after the US president has decided to cut off the annual funding of $500 million.
Earlier this week, Retno Marsurdi met the foreign ministers from 25 countries, in order to discuss a global response to the global pandemic, which has already infected more than 2 million people and killed about 150,000 people worldwide.
“I stated that countries support the WHO as the platform for them to share information and guidelines to mitigate and respond to health emergencies,” Retno said.
“We also agreed to use this moment to deliver reform so that international organizations can take better responses for future crises,” Retno said.
Then Retno said that Indonesia is participating in the WHO Solidarity Trial, composed by a group of 90 countries who seek to accelerate the development of the Covid-19 vaccine.
“In the WHO framework, Indonesia participated in the Solidarity Trial. It conducts clinical tests of Covid-19 medicines and we will see which one is most effective to defeat the virus," finally Retno said.